We are thankful for the over 200 volunteers who support us regularly at Lisaard House or Innisfree House. They come with a ready smile and an attitude of service and gratitude. A typical volunteer shift is approximately three hours.
We are supported by two types of volunteers:
- Volunteers who provide Lisaard/Innisfree House with operational house assistance including:
- Kitchen (baking or meal prep),
- We are currently recruiting volunteers for the following positions:
- Kitchen: provide meals (breakfast and lunch) for our residents OR provide baking for our residents and their visitors;
- Reception: warmly welcome visitors to our hospices; answer the telephone; and provide tours;
- Laundry: Innisfree House only. Support our Personal Support Workers with laundering bed linens, towels, and kitchen linens;
- Music Therapy: use music therapy to help residents deal with emotional and/or physical difficulties;
- Nail Care: provide basic nail care to our residents once per week.
Volunteers who directly support residents and their families during their final days. This can involve feeding; repositioning; transferring; reading; writing letters; or talking. Hospice of Waterloo Region provides the training, ongoing education and support, and schedules the volunteers for shifts at Lisaard House or Innisfree House. These volunteers must complete a 33 hour training program.
A local police vulnerable screening check is required by all volunteers.